By 1912, Larchmere was beginning to develop as a Cleveland neighborhood. Small commercial buildings and several large farms were in place at this time. The neighborhood prospered around the Woodland Avenue streetcar, which traveled from East 130th Street to East 4th Street and Prospect Avenue in downtown Cleveland. (Larchmere Boulevard from East 116th to North Moreland was originally named Woodland.) A popular stop on this streetcar line was Cleveland's beloved - Luna Park - a 35-acre amusement park just west of the neighborhood.
Historically, Larchmere-Woodland was a neighborhood commercial district that provided goods and services to the residents. Two long-standing businesses continue to be neighborhood staples - The Academy Tavern and Beck's Delicatessen (now Larchmere Deli and Beverage). In 1929, Shaker Square was completed to the south of the neighborhood. The Square added shopping, apartments and the Rapid Transit system, connecting Shaker Heights and Cleveland's east side neighborhoods with downtown Cleveland.
As the business districts thrived, so did residential development. By 1922, many homes in Larchmere's southern portion were in place. The Northern portion, however, with its expansive view of the city, was the 80-acre estate of Otto Leisy - president of Leisy Brewing Company - once Cleveland's oldest and largest independent brewery. Overtime the estate was subdivided and new housing was built.
Today, the neighborhood is home to a diverse community of residents and businesses who are actively engaged in continuing the growth of their neighborhood.